Thursday Thirteen #8

Thirteen books I couldn't live without, in no particular order except for #1.

[The top ten books I couldn't live without were requested here, but I had to make it 13 and wish it could have been a top 20!!]

1. The Bible
We weren't supposed to count this unless we'd read it. I've read all except parts of Isaiah and Jeremiah--so I'm gonna count it!

2. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
This was read to my class by my 2nd grade teacher, Miss French. She read several goodies that year--who can forget their "first loves"?

3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I always identified with Jo.

4. Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was another book read by Miss French. I went on to read the entire series and have probably read it at least 5 or 6 times.

5. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
I love all the books I've read by C.S. Lewis. If I only had just his books and the Bible on a desert island, I'd be happy.

6. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

7. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Beautiful writing, lessons to be learned, and I love the Russian authors!

9. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
See #8.

10. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Excellent book on the nature of guilt.

11. Complete works of Shakespeare
It's Shakespeare--need I say more? I think his complete works were being counted as only one by others.

12. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A masterpiece.

13. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Heartrending.

14 comments:

Kailana said...

Yay! Thanks for joining in. I will link to your post right now. And, don't worry about the extra three, I figured people would like to use it as an excuse for a Thursday Thirteen. Hopefully more people do the same!

Anonymous said...

I'd keep the Shakespeare works, too! Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

Great List!!! To Kill a Mockingbird is a favorite of mine also..When I was in 7th grade (yrs ago) My English teacher read this book out oud to the class..It was Great.. He knew just where to end to keep us hanging until the next day. That is such an art that has died out.. Thanks again..

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Whoa. Lots of classics.

Good stuff.

Just don't neglect the new stuff -- and never be afraid to try something new. You never know when you'll find a real gem!

Happy TT!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Great list, but like Susan, I'd love to see some modern works on your list, too! Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

All good choices---To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely in my top 20.

Anonymous said...

I'm not so much on shakespeare but how I love those Russian novels...I have had Anna Karenina on my nightstand to re-read...I was surprised you didn't list any books by Ayn Rand.

Anonymous said...

C S Lewis makes my list as well. :)

Stephanie said...

Great List!! I've never read any C. S. Lewis. Guess I should add it to my ever-growing list!

To Kill a Mockingbird is on my top 10 as well....number 1!

Mercy's Maid said...

Isn't Lewis great? My 13 this week is C.S. Lewis quotes.

L^2 said...

Great list. I love most of those books too.
Happy TT! :-)

The Gal Herself said...

Great list! And re: your mention of Little Women … have you ever met someone who identified with Amy, Beth or Meg? I haven't. I have a theory that Jo is Everywoman. Haven't ever read C.S. Lewis, thanks for reminding me to give him a try. I agree completely with your inclusion of Charlotte's Web. I aspire to Wilbur's description of Charlotte -- "a good writer and a true friend."

lifelongreader said...

I missed Mockingbird off my list which was an oversight as it is indeed an amazing book.

Some great book here - I have never got to grips with the Russian writers, though.

Anonymous said...

Great list and it helped inspire me to write my own one. I just finihsed Anna Karenina and have read about 5 others off your list. Mockingbird is near the top of my TBR pile now...!

Post a Comment