Everyman

by
Philip Roth

2006
182 pp.

Rating: 1



Everyman could have been a good book. If only. . . Had he not. . . I will get to those details later.

The book traces a 70-something man's history of his health problems, his three marriages, and his affairs. After doing some research on Roth, I wondered if it is a bit autobiographical. At the end of the novel, he regrets his life. His sons and his ex-wives hate him, and he doesn't get to spend time with the one person he does love, his daughter Nancy. He is even jealous of his brother's good health and stops calling him--a brother who has always been there for him. There are lessons to be learned from the novel, sure, but here is my objection to it.

He could have written this novel without the graphic s * x scenes. It really does border on p * r n. How such a le wd book could be awarded the PEN/Faulkner is beyond me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

An NPR interview with Philip Roth about the book Everyman is here.

3 comments:

Booklogged said...

Thanks for the warning. I'll skip this one.

Wendy said...

I've never read Roth...and I'm reluctant to because he doesn't sound like the type of writer I'd like to read. This to me sounds a bit self-absorbed. I'll skip it! Thanks for the review!

raidergirl3 said...

I read Roth's The Human Stain last year, and it made my most hated books. I finished it, barely, but found it boring, I hated the characters, couldn't find anythng likeable about the plot,characters or writing. There was a movie with Anthony Hopkins, so I knew the gist of the story, and that didn't help at all. Now that I've read your review of another of his books: Blech on Roth!

Post a Comment