1. In your opinion, what is the best translation of a book to a movie?
2. The worst?
3. Had you read the book before seeing the movie, and did that make a difference? (Personally, all other things being equal, I usually prefer whichever I was introduced to first.)

And, by all means, expand this to as long a list as you like. I’m notoriously awful myself at narrowing down to one favorite ANYTHING. So, feel free to list as many “good” or “bad” movie-from-books as you like. (Heaven knows that’s what I’ll be doing….)

Answers:
1. I LOVE the "Colin Firth" Pride & Prejudice. Is there anyone who doesn't? Even Mr. 3M enjoyed it! Though I enjoyed the 2006 version of Jane Eyre, my favorite is the one with Ciaran Hinds and Samantha Morton. I also really liked Wuthering Heights with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche, although it was very depressing.

Some people will absolutely shoot me for this, but I LOVED the DiCaprio/Danes Romeo & Juliet as well as Ethan Hawke's Hamlet. I loved the modern setting while keeping (most of) the original wording. I've probably seen them at least 10 times each.

Of course, The Lord of the Rings trilogy was absolutely brilliant. There was only one thing I didn't like at all in that movie: the change in Faramir's character.

2. I haven't seen it, but my kids didn't like the film adaptation of Eragon at all. That's too bad, because the cast looked so great! I don't know if this is a "worst" but thought it worth mentioning.

3. I rarely read the book after I see a movie, but I did read Wuthering Heights after seeing the film. I tend not to read the book if I liked the movie, though. Like most people, I usually prefer the book to the movie.

This was a great question this week!

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

Great answers! I liked that version of Romeo and Juliet too. I wasn't thrilled with the Eragon movie, maybe I shall read the book. Come visit me!
http://smsbookreviews.blogspot.com/2007/07/booking-through-thursday_12.html

Kailana said...

I forgot Eragon! That movie disappointed me, but then, I didn't like the book super a lot too, but the movie was really bad.

Anonymous said...

I'd completely forgotten about Romeo + Juliet - I REALLY liked it, although I had friends who walked out on it.
Thanks for reminding me of it!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I also absolutely LOVED that version of Romeo and Juliet. In fact, you've made me really want to watch it again very soon! I haven't seen that Hamlet but I like Ethan Hawke. I might have to have a Shakespeare weekend...
Smallworld

Daphne said...

I haven't seen the newer version of Romeo and Juliet - I'm kind of partial to the 1960's one with Olivia Hussey. They had it at Barnes and Noble several months ago for $5, so I bought it!

kookie said...

You are right about Wuthering Heights. I actually hated the book, but when I saw that movie (Fiennes as Heathcliff blew me away), I gained a new appreciation for it.

CeeCee said...

I watched Eragon for ten minutes. The movie never captured my imagination or interest. I'm sure the movie is better.

Wow, I need to get in on some of the challenges.

chumly said...

The Wall - Pink Floyd - nuff said.

Ana S. said...

I'm with you on that version of Romeo and Juliet. I was very young when I first saw it, and it was the reason why I read the play. But even after reading it I thought it was a very good adaptation. There are so many things about that movie that are just beautiful.

Kelly said...

Cold mountain and pride and prejudice the bbc mini

Debi said...

My daughter wasn't overly impressed with Eragon (movie) either, but she loved the book.

Post a Comment