What with yesterday being the Fourth of July and all, I’m feeling a little patriotic, and so have a simple question:

What, in your opinion, is the (mythical) Great American Novel? At least to date. A “classic,” or a current one–either would be fine. Mark Twain? J.D. Salinger? F. Scott Fitzgerald? Stephen King? Laura Ingalls Wilder?

It doesn’t have to be your favorite book, mind you. “Citizen Kane” may be the “best” film, and I concede its merits, but it’s not my favorite. You don’t have to love something to know that it’s good.

Now, I know that not all of you are American–but you can play, too! What I want from you is to know what you consider to the best novel of YOUR country. It might be someone the rest of us haven’t heard of and, frankly, I think we’d all like to get some new authors to read.

In fact, while we’re at it–I’m curious about the geographical make-up of this meme. So, while you’re leaving your link to your post, tell us where in the world you are! (For the record, I’m in New Jersey, USA.)

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

Answer: I live near Cinci right now but will soon be moving near Omaha.


Several choices come to mind. To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Gone with the Wind, and Grapes of Wrath would be the leading contenders.


If I had to choose only one, I would say To Kill a Mockingbird. I haven't read Gone with the Wind, or I might choose that one. I did love the movie. I've read the others, but yes, I think my choice is To Kill a Mockingbird. I rated it 5/5 earlier this year and loved it.

5 comments:

--Deb said...

Really, it's hard to top TKAM. It's just such a perfect book!

Lodo Grdzak said...

Babbitt or Main Street--both by Sinclair Lewis. Winesburg Ohio by Sherwood Andeson; or for the south--The Snopes trilogy by Faulkner.

Stephanie said...

It's kind of funny how much we think alike!! I choose To Kill a Mockingbird, but also had shout outs to Gone With the Wind (which is absolutely fabulous and really is better than the movie) and anything by Twain! (I prefer Tom Sawyer to Huck though!)

Great Answers!

(And you really do have to read The Tender Bar. It was fantastic!)

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I had already picked To Kill a Mockingbird before I got to your picks. It's just hard to top it as the quintessential American novel...
SmallWorld

Anonymous said...

I am due to read To Kill a Mockingbird this year and definately looking forward to it. I really enjoyed reading Gone with the Wind when I was younger, there is a lot that the film leaves out despite it's being so long!

Post a Comment