The Princess and the Goblin
by George MacDonald

1872, 241 pp.

Rating: 4.5




This is a delightful story about eight year old Princess Irene, her great-great-great-great grandmother, and a miner boy named Curdie. Together they fight to foil the goblins' sinister schemes. Little Irene is a true princess and acts like a little lady, while Curdy is a very brave and heroic boy.

Highly recommended for all ages. I will try to read the sequel, The Princess and Curdie, sometime this year as well. I am also set to read Phantastes by MacDonald for the Fantasy Challenge. I can't wait to get to this more "adult" fantasy tale. I really enjoyed MacDonald's writing, and I am not at all surprised that he was an inspiration to both Lewis and Tolkien.

7 comments:

Kailana said...

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the other MacDonald books. I have read this one, which I liked about as much as you, and The Light Princess. I have the sequel to The Princess and the Goblin, but I haven't read it yet.

Lisa said...

Have you read At the Back of the North Wind by the same author? I read it in college and loved it.

1morechapter said...

Kailana--I have The Light Princess but haven't read it yet. Another one I'm looking forward to.

Lisa--Yes, I've read it but it was a long time ago. I'd like to re-read it sometime as well.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I hadn't really heard much about MacDonald before this challenge, but I definitely want to read some of his stuff sometime soon. This sounds like a fun book.

Anonymous said...

This is yet another book I've been meaning to read for a while. Your rating is certainly encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Like Carl, I hadn't previously heard much about MacDonald, and I haven't read any of his books. This one sounds like one I might enjoy though, I may have to add it to The List!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love The Princess and the Goblin! MacDonald in general, actually, though I have noticed many of his other tales (The Light Princess and At the Back of the North Wind for instance) tend to be a little downbeat. (Not as downbeat as Oscar Wilde's fairy tales though! Those are the most depressing ever. ;))

Post a Comment