Dystopian Challenge



April 6th through November 6th

If you can call this a "genre", it is one of my favorites. I've hesitated in joining the challenge, though, because this year I've already read:

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

and in the past I've read 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell.

However, I did have two or three potential titles that were on my TBR list for this year: Never Let Me Go and The Handmaid's Tale; and Oryx and Crake had been on my list, but I moved it to 2008. As I was looking at some of the possible titles at Wikipedia, I found A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. I've been meaning to watch the movie, so this is the perfect opportunity to read the book first. I also found The Messenger and Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, which are seqels to The Giver. So my choices became a little clearer.

I have chosen:

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
The Messenger by Lois Lowry
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Never Let Me Go by K. Ishiguro

Bonus/Alternates that I probably won't find time for but would like to read are:

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Children of Men by P.D. James
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell


1 comments:

Lisa said...

Ok, got ya added, so glad you're reading! I'll pop over and do the Decades one some time today. Right now I'm off to actually READ some of these books...

Post a Comment