Inkheart
by
Cornelia Funke

2003, 544 pp

Rating: 4




Meggie is a 12 year old girl whose father never reads aloud to her. He gives her books, he tells her stories, but he never actually reads from a book to her. One night a mysterious man comes to visit them--his name is Dustfinger. Dustfinger warns Mo (Meggie's father) that a man named Capricorn is after a book in Mo's possession called Inkheart.

It is then that Meggie find out why her father never reads to her. He has the ability to bring characters "alive" out of the book he is reading. The catch is, though, that someone else from the real world disappears into the book at the same time.

The adventure that follows includes Meggie's missing mother, her great-aunt Elinor, Inkheart's author Fenoglio, and several characters that have come out of their books.

I enjoyed this story very much and listened to it on CD with my entire family on a road trip this past week. The movie is being filmed now and will star Brendan Fraser, Eliza Bennett, Paul Bettany, Helen Mirren, Jim Broadbent, Andy Serkis, among others. I can't wait to see it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started this book and though only on chapter 3, I love it already. I was so glad to see your review! Much more to look forward to as I continue reading!

Suey said...

This is one of my favorite books of all time, the sequel too, Inkspell. Do you plan on going on to read that one? Wow, it ended in quite a cliffhanger and so I'm anxiously awaiting the third book, which I think will be next year sometime. Long wait!

Post a Comment